How To Hard Reset An iPhone – The Definitive Guide – 2020
So, what are the scenarios in which we are forced to reset or reboot our iPhone? That’s exactly as we all know that when our phone stuck at someplace or starts crashing apps or we are unable to restart it. Then we have to reset our phone and the phone restarts and start working properly. So let’s stop wasting any time and let’s get into it.
SOFT and HARD RESET
There are two types of reset or reboot one is soft reset and the other one is a hard reset. Now, what’s the difference between the hard and soft reset, let me tell you a soft reset is rebooting your phone in this process we only restart the phone and refresh it. This is done when your phone is having connectivity problem or starts crashing your apps. Here we will do a soft reset and the phone will be refreshed.
The hard reset is implemented when your phone is just stuck somewhere and you are unable to even start your phone. In this scenario, we have forced to hard reset our iPhone. Resetting your iPhone does not mean that your data will be erased like the factory data reset option. That’s another Scenario if you want that read the section HARD RESET FROM ITUNES at the end of the post.
Resetting is like refreshing the memory of the phone in which the apps are running.
First of all, we will start with the soft Reset or Restart. There are different ways for iPhone XR XS X and iPhone 8. In these you have to this:
- Press the Power button and volume down button at the same time
- When the Slide to power off option appears on the screen release both of the buttons
- Then finally move the slider to power off, after 5 seconds again press the power button and your phone will be restarted.
Now How to restart the OLD models of iPhone.
These phones are very easy to restart or reboot how? let’s get into it.
- The only thing that you have to do is press the power button and the main window button on the screen at the same time.
- Older iPhone models have a round button on the screen.
- After pressing both of the buttons keep it until your phone turns off.
- After turning off your phone will restart automatically and that’s it.
How To Hard Reset an iPhone New Model such as iPhone XR, X, XS MAX, and iPhone 8
So the soft reset or restart can only solve a few basic problems such as iPhone app crashes and glitches as I earlier said, But the hard reset is some sort of better and stronger option. This option is implemented when your iPhone gets totally jammed or stuck at the LOGO, your data will be erased but we don’t have any other option.
Hard Reset on these models is a little bit of different READ IT CAREFULLY because it might look like the soft reset but it’s not.
- Click the Volume down button and then release it.
- Click on the Volume Up button and then release it.
- Now press and hold the power button until you see the power to slide option.
- After that slide it to power off you iPhone will be restarted and restored to Factory data settings.
How To Hard RESET the Older Models of iPhones such as iPhone 6, 5, 4, 3, 3GS
A hard reset is needed when your iPhone’s memory needs to be refreshed, In most of the cases we don’t need it but if we do then you have to follow the following steps.
- Press the power and the home button at the same time.
- Hold both of the buttons until the Apple logo appears.
- As the logo appears you can slightly release both of the buttons and enjoy your memory refreshed and your phone hard reset.
These were all the easy to do steps but there’s also another HARD RESET which you may need sometimes. That FACTORY DATA RESET.
You have two ways to do that.
- Do it from your phone if you have access to it.
- When you don’t have access to your phone it’s totally locked down but you have access to your apple id.
1: Hard Reset an iPhone Through Your Settings
- goto your phone’s settings
- The Click on the general
- There you will find an option at the end that’s reset
- After clicking on that option you will see Erase all content and settings
- Through which all the settings and data will be cleared if you were having any issue with
2: HARD RESET Your iPhone If You Have Lost Your Password Or Don’t Have Access To The Settings
This reset is basically implemented when you have lost your passcode, It erases all the data and settings through Itunes and your regain access to your phone.
- First of all download Itunes and then open it.
- After opening ITUNES connect your phone to your PC or Laptop.
- Your phone will be detected by the pc and it will show up on ITUNES.
- Click on the phone logo in ITUNES and you will see your phone’s summary.
- At the summary bottom, there will be an option showing RESTORE IPHONE.
- Click on that button and you will be suggested if you want to backup your data.
- After confirming that Click on restore and your phone will be restored to factory state.